Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Wireless computers and cottage cheese

Bike to work week day one.
Great ride today.
Rode the Peugeot for the what felt like the first time in a while.
I was flying.
It was wonderful.
I feel slightly embarrassed that it took a special week to get me motivated to get back on the commute gig, I have been meaning but kept running out of time in the morning. I was being lazy.
They say the hardest day is the first so we will see how it goes the rest of the week.
On the way home I jumped on the end of a two person pace line briefly. A guy came blowing past me and I pulled around to jump on his wheel. The guy passed yelled "What are you riding?!" I didn't jump fast enough and couldn't reel in the faster guy until we hit the stop light. He and I exchanged hellos and comments on the wonderful day. The I laid it down and he was behind me sucking my draft, we split up at Lee Blvd.
I was in the middle of one of the climbs on Lee Blvd when a car pulled along side. The passenger window was rolled down. The happy looking old my (reminded me of my Grandpa) smiled and said: "So... Wanna race?" Then accelerated up the hill and away. It was awesome.
I couldn't help but laugh to myself.
Tomorrow I don't have to be at work until one so I will be taking the long route and running some errands before hand. Rack up that daily mileage for the KC Commuter Challange. 36 today!
The wheel build idea for the Pacer got blown out of the water first thing today. I was plenty busy and so was the shop. I am not a wheel builder so I try to bribe Dale with lunch or six packs. He has built almost all of my wheels. I have one that I built. Its been around for a while and is plenty tough but its not built quite right. The space in the spokes isn't around the valve stem like its supposed to be. Isn't that big of a problem but I am reminded of it every time I air of the tire. I remember lacing that thing up. It took a lot of tries. I could do it again but don't want the frustration. If I had a truing stand here I would do it at home... no one would see my frustration bout bursts.
Over all I decided its not something that has to be done now anyway. If I really want to roll to work on gears I have two geared bikes perfectly suited for the task.
I bought a new replacement computer today. Its for the Jamis (long story I won't bore you) but it rode home on the Peugeot all hooked up so I could accurately know the miles. Worked pretty good until I got to the market. I leaned the bike up against the window while I was shopping for dinner fixin's. When I came out the computer was reading 37 MPH and I had gone 10 more miles than I had before I went into the store. Not sure what the computer was picking up on but it was pretty screwy until I rolled out in the parking lot away from the store windows. Thats to problem with some wireless computers. I know with this one I cant run a flasher on the handle bars. It will do the same thing. The readings get all wacked out. The computer is only temporary on the Peugeot any way. if I decide it needs to have one or I just like it I will pick up a wired one.
Its getting late again.
Still need to shower from the ride home. Plus I went to a friends to hand for a while and her dog licked both legs "clean".
Yuck.
Guess I was salty. Did help clean out the bit of road rash on my left leg from the "Dive Bar Challenge" Saturday night though. Thats a good thing right?

No comments: