Friday, September 30, 2011

Cyclocross. The other white meat.


The Boss Cross race series are some of my favorite cyclocross races. Boss Cross is where I got my start many moons ago. Back when Kansas City CX races were actually held in Kansas City proper. Not in a neighboring community. Hell the couple times Cyclocross Nationals were in Kansas City the race didn't technically happen in KC.
Bah!
I'd love it if CX came back in to the KC metro area. I've heard rumors that the problem is the city and the amount of money they want to rent the parks for the event.
But thats just rumors.

I'm looking at a small CX season this year. Mostly because I don't want to travel.
The idea of spending more time in the car getting to the race than the race actually lasts doesn't appeal to me. Less so when the next day you are making the journey again.
If I was a fast guy, was placing high and possibly winning prize money I'd be singing a different tune I'm sure.
But I'm not. I do this for fun.
However, when my options are spending an hour plus in a car, then paying $25 to $35 to race for 30 to 40 minutes compared to just jumping on my bike in my driveway and riding all day for free...
Well, I know which one I'm going to chose.
Now don't get me wrong. I'm a big supporter of CX and if I'm not racing I'd go to a race to cheer and heckle. As long as its a race closer to home.

It doesn't help that my teammate and primary race motivater, Mr. Joshua, is out for the season injured. We'll put him to good use taking photos and passing out beer hand-ups.

Twice the Evil twice the fun

Evil Cycling Kansas City will be represented at both days of this weekends Boss Cross series.
We'll see what happens.

2 comments:

elisabeth said...

i hear you on justifying travel. but i still think you should come to lincoln cx. :)

One Eyed z said...

Its been a bit since I've been in Lincoln. Even longer since I raced CX there. I need to look at the dates and see if I can.