Thursday, December 29, 2016

Feeling sappy for the Holidaze...


 Old Lang Syne 
-Dan Fogelberg 

Met my old lover in the grocery store 
The snow was falling Christmas Eve 
I stood behind her in the frozen foods 
And I touched her on the sleeve 

She didn't recognize the face at first 
But then her eyes flew open wide 
She went to hug me and she spilled her purse 
And we laughed until we cried 

We took her groceries to the check out stand 
The food was totaled up and bagged 
We stood there lost in our embarrassment 
As the conversation lagged 

We went to have ourselves a drink or two 
But couldn't find an open bar 
We bought a six-pack at the liquor store 
And we drank it in her car 

We drank a toast to innocence 
We drank a toast to now 
We tried to reach beyond the emptiness 
But neither one knew how 

She said she's married her an architect 
Who kept her warm and safe and dry 
She would have liked to say she loved the man 
But she didn't like to lie 
I said the years had been a friend to her 
And that her eyes were still as blue 
But in those eyes I wasn't sure if I saw 
Doubt or gratitude 

She said she saw me in the record stores 
And that I must be doing well 
I said the audience was heavenly 
But the traveling was Hell 

We drank a toast to innocence 
We drank a toast to now 
We tried to reach beyond the emptiness 
But neither one knew how 

We drank a toast to innocence 
We drank a toast to time 
Reliving, in our eloquence 
Another "Auld Lang Syne" 

The beer was empty and our tongues were tired 
And running out of things to say 
She gave a kiss to me as I got out 
And I watched her drive away 

Just for a moment I was back at school 
And felt that old familiar pain 
And, as I turned to make my way back home 
The snow turned into rain

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I love that you're so sentimental at your old ass age!! Hope Christmas and New Years was a blast. Can we get in touch? 2017 is my year of finding all my old buds. Be well always, Z!! My email is the same.