Tuesday, December 04, 2007

"I've had all that I can stand and I can't stand no more!"

funny how one little thing can set you off into a stomping, bitchy, grumbling fit... or is that just me?
I mean little things.
Silly things.
For example today mine was the salad bar that the Price Chopper next to the shop. I hit it for lunch on a pretty regular basis. Today after a weekend of eating chili all I really wanted was a spinach salad, my staple lunch from Price Chopper.
Salads are a relatively new thing for me. New as in the last year or so.
I have never been much of a leafy green eater. I know I should be, its just healthy and I am considered by some to be a pretty healthy guy (must be all the cycling).
So I got to the point that for weeks at a time a spinach salad (w/chicken, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, peas, carrots shavings, BACON, red/green/yellow bell pepper slices, BACON, blue cheese crumbles, croutons, and sunflower seeds) topped with peppercorn ranch dressing with a small side of cottage cheese and a drink of some sort was the daily lunch 7 days a week and some times lunch and dinner.
Mr Joshua told me I was out of control.
You would think I would change the topping up now and again but I pretty much had everything that I liked on the salad bar. I was even buying the ingredients to make the same salads at home. And I like it, there was no reason to change it up.
Now the question might be: why had I lived 32 years and not ever eaten a salad?
Well... because I don't like lettuce. It feels funny in my mouth.
Not funny, "Ha Ha!" But funny, "Ugh! Get this out of my mouth!"
I had never tried spinach I just assumed it would be the same way. And we all know what you get when you assume: You make an ass out of you and me (typed out that isn't nearly as cleaver as it sounds). Until one random day I had the "sandwich artist" at Subway throw some on my sandwich a year and 1/2 ago.
I didn't gag. It actually was OK. I started getting it as a topping to every sandwich that I got. At the time we were walking down to Subway on an almost daily basis. I was buying it to have at home to add to any thing I made (burgers, hot dogs, pasta, mac/cheese). One night I was at Waldo Pizza and discovered spinach on the salad bar. The next day I investigated the Price Chopper salad bar and found my new lunch of choice.

Well I would say that I wandered off topic a bit here...
But since the topic is spinach on the Price Chopper salad bar I guess not too much. We will just call all that the "back story" to my stomping, pissing and moaning fit I had for an hour today.
Long story short (Too Late!)
I went to the PC salad bar for my "regular" and they didn't have any spinach.
Three HUGE bins of lettuce but no spinach.
I was irritated. I wandered around trying to decide what to do.
I have asked the gals behind the salad bar about getting spinach before when they haven't had any and usually they grab some and put it out. This time I inquired and they looked at me kind of confused (was it the look on my face or possibly English being their 2nd language?). I wasn't in the mood to ask twice so I stomped away(possibly adding to their confusion). I grabbed a loaf of bread and a tube of Pringle's. Paid up (actually ended up being cheaper than the salad and will last at least all week), stomped and grumbled across the parking lot back to the shop. At the shop I stomped and grumbled some more to the fridge where I retrieved my jelly and found my forgotten can of Mountain Dew. Stomped and grumbled to my desk got out my peanut butter and made my self a couple tasty PB&J's, ate some Pringle's, drank some dew and read some blogs. I also grumbled at any one passing in ear shot about how "the damn Price Chopper" didn't have spinach.
Needless to say I was a joy to be around about 2 o'clock today.
But by the time my lunch was over I was all good and full of grins again.

See I told you it was silly.

Speaking of blogs. How to Avoid the Bummer Life dot com reminded me of an old favorite. Maybe I should go rent it this week. I wonder if I could find it?

No comments: