Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Spoken Word Wednesday

 Because I always feel like running 
Not away, because there is no such place 
Because, if there was I would have found it by now 
Because it's easier to run, 
Easier than staying and finding out you're the only one...who didn't run 
Because running will be the way your life and mine will be described As in "the long run" 
Or as in having given someone a "run for his money" Or as in "running out of time" 
Because running makes me look like everyone else, though I hope there will ever be cause for that 
Because I will be running in the other direction, not running for cover 
Because if I knew where cover was, I would stay there and never have to run for it 
Not running for my life, because I have to be running for something of more value to be running 
and not in fear 
Because the thing I fear cannot be escaped, eluded, avoided, hidden from, protected from, gotten away from, 
Not without showing the fear as I see it now 
Because closer, clearer, no sir, nearer 
Because of you and because of that nice 
That you quietly, quickly be causing 
And because you're going to see me run soon 
and because you're going to know why I'm running then 
You'll know then 
Because I'm not going to tell you now

-Gil Scott-Heron

 

No comments: